RFI

Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI?
From: Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:56:35 -0700
At 10:35 AM -0700 16/9/06, Randy wrote:
>A few months ago I saw some discussion about rf interference (HF thru 6
>meters, I think) created by some (or all?) of the Honda "i" series
>generators, switching noise from the inverter circuitry.  I was wondering if
>this is still a problem or if the newer units are better.  Anyone have any
>experience using one of these purchased in the last couple of months for
>portable operation?
>
>de Randy, W7HR
>Port Orchard, WA

Yeah, I sure do. I bought a Honda Eu1000i this past February after having major
RFI problems with a Mitsubishi 600/900w inverter-generator and have been having
all sorts of the same RFI problems with the Honda. It simply is not
well-filtered, if filtered at all.  I built the line filter (common choke) as
described by
http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Portable_Operation/EU2000i_Filter.htm
 and STILL had major RFI problems. Long story short, I ordered both the new
MFJ-1164 line filter and the W4RRY battery booster and, after considerable
delay due to MFJ manufacturing backorders, UPS, and USPS, only just got them in
today, so they're untested. Until now, I've been just using my battery banks to
operate and keeping the Honda turned off until I needed to charge the battery
banks. If these new toys don't solve the problem, I've bookmarked several
toroid and bead suppliers (particularly
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/RFI_Kit/rfi_kit.html ) to go to Stage Four of
correct
 ive measures. Beyond this, I don't know what I'll do except go back to my huge
and consumptive Coleman 3750 generator for ham radio operations; it does NOT
create RFI.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html