RTTY

Re: [RTTY] ts870 fsk

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ts870 fsk
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:24:31 -0700
From: <kk5oq@bellsouth.net>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:34 AM
Subject: [RTTY] ts870 fsk

> The fsk modulator in my 870 has quit working. Menu
> settings are correct and interface
> is working properly. Any help before shipping off would be
> appreciated.
> thanks
> charles/kk5oq

I've got a TS-850, not an 870, but this is what I would try:

1. Connect one end of an rca to rca jumper to the fsk input
of the 870. Listen to monitor. Put rig in transmit (rtty
mode of course) by depressing the send switch. Short out the
free end of the rca jumper with a screwdriver or something,
and see if you can hear the frequency shift in the monitor.
If it does shift, the problem is not in the radio.

2. If the frequency doesn't shift, do a master reset on the
870, then repeat step 1.

3. If that doesn't work, you are dead for fsk, and the rig
has to go back.

4. The 850, and possibly the 870, does a fantastic job on
afsk. Just select LOW TONES on your afsk generator and rtty
demodulator, select LSB on the 870, and select the 500 or
250 Hz Filters. Does the 870 even have physical filters? If
not, I guess select some narrow digital filters instead.

Good luck!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ