RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Help me decide between two rigs

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Help me decide between two rigs
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:26:59 -0800 (PST)
For me it's about the features more than the performance:

- I am addicted to the band scope on the IC-756 series.  I could not live
without it.

- I operate 6 meters.  The FT1000 doesn't have have that band.

Each rig has its flaws:

- FT1000MP has a key click problem - find W8JI's web site for more info.

- IC756 Pro has a low-frequency rumble which was definitely corrected in the
Pro III and maybe the Pro II.  But it can make it unpleasant to listen to CW or
RTTY when there are strong stations nearby.

- All ICOM rigs have software limtations which prevent one from reading the
"split" status of the radio.  CT and Writelog have found ways to work around it
as long as you leave your fingers off the buttons.  But it can cause problems
when working split and/or spotting stations on the cluster.

Note that the IF filtering options are different between the two rigs, and even
among the 756 series.  Yaesu has a built-in power supply, the IC756 does not.

So you have to decide:

- if the performance is comparable between the two radios, is there a feature
that is a must-have?

- if the feature set is comparable, then pick the radio with the best
performance.

ARRL members can download expanded rig reviews from the ARRL web site.  That
will give you the performance "numbers".

If it's at all possible, visit a friend who has one of the radios and see how
you like it.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu, http://www.ad1c.us