RTTY

Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:48:43 -0700
I use 250, with an Inrad filter, all the time for RTTY.  Any wider than that
is too wide for me.  Not sure about narrower as I can't get less than 250
cycles here.  The number 2 radio here has a 500 cycle filter and that is WAY
too wide. for contesting. 73
Tom W7WHY

Don, AA5AU, wrote:
> I think I remember someone, maybe Chen, saying a 200 Hz
> filter would not work on RTTY or something to that effect.
> Maybe I don't have the story just right, but it appears to be
> working great.  Too tight for contesting, but works when required.

A passband narrower than about 280 Hz removes some of a 45 baud signal.
OTOH, I have used a 200 Hz DSP filter a lot in contests and pileups because
removing off-frequency signals is a bigger benefit than the little bit lost
with the too-narrow filter.  This requires precise tuning but helps separate
signals.  Even 150 Hz works pretty good, though I never go that narrow.

73,
Ed