RTTY

Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:56:28 -0700
On Jun 29, 2012, at 9:37 PM, aflowers@frontiernet.net wrote:

> I don't particularly care if someone includes a SITOR-B in their contest like
> the RTTY Roundup or strictly 45 baud Baudot (apparently 45.45 baud allowed--I
> may risk the DQ and crank it up to 46.0 baud this year).

45.45 baud is not only allowed in RTTY contesting, it is the Amateur RTTY
standard.

The weird number (more precisely 45.454545... baud) comes from the 22.0 ms bit
period of the noisy boat anchors that K0RC and W7WHY use :-).

The risk of cranking your transmit baud rate up is that you will be asked for
more repeats when SNR is poor, thereby negating the advantage of a shorter
transmission.

73
Chen, W7AY