RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Lets try again on the FT857 problem

To: Nelson Moyer <ku0a@mchsi.com>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lets try again on the FT857 problem
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:15:59 -0500

> The problem is the DIN jack - the FT857 data in/out aren't the same
> as audio in/out to the DXP38. Data Out from the DIN plug is not
> sending audio that the DXP38 can decode.

Based on what you wrote below, you have DATA IN and DATA OUT reversed
(and you are using FM/discriminator audio instead of product detector
audio).  I know the information I've given works with any sound card
as that's what is used in all of the cables for microHAM products.

It also works with any of the other "industry standard" miniDIN6
"DATA" jacks - in Icom IC-703, IC-706mkIIg, IC-7000, IC-746Pro, Kenwood
TS-480, Yaesu FT-8x7, 450, 950,

> Joe, I just looked at your pinouts, and it doesn't match the diagram
> on page33 or the manual.

Page 33 of the manual does not give pin numbers - I based my numbers
from the identification of the upper right pin (Data Out) as "pin 5"
in the diagram on page 18.  However, if one uses the "standard" pin
assignments used by other manufacturers the pin clockwise of the
keyway (identified as pin 1 on page 18) is "pin 5".  In that case the
proper connections are

Pin 1 - audio from the sound card to the transceiver
Pin 2 - Ground/audio return
pin 3 - PTT
Pin 4 - discriminator out or FSK In (depending on model)
Pin 5 - audio from the radio to the sound card
pin 6 - squelch

"Industry standard" numbering places the keyway *down* and numbers
left to right top row to bottom row.   The "standard" pin numbers
are shown in the FT-450 and FT-950 manuals but the FT-817/857/897
manuals *all* lack *any* pin numbers!

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV