RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Sound Card Comparison (Soundmax On MoBo, TurtleBeach Santa C

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Sound Card Comparison (Soundmax On MoBo, TurtleBeach Santa Cruz, and M-Audio Revolution)
From: Phil Duff NA4M <na4m@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:29:08 +0000
At 04:05 3/24/2004, Robert McGwier wrote:

The best of all the 16 bit cards I have tested is the Turtle
Beach Santa Cruz.  The SB Live looked about like the Soundmax
and I tossed it straight into the trash when I got the Turtle
Beach.

You are looking at frequency response, noise floor, dynamic range,
total harmonic distortion, and crosstalk between channels.

are two of the Santa Cruz panels. First is the input mixer panel and the second is the output mixer panel. The first makes it clear that there is no mute on the input and line in and microphone are the same control with two different plugs. Internally, they differ by an amplifier for the microphone.

Can someone quantify the differences in the TB Santa Cruz versus run of the mill sound cards in real day-day RTTY/PSK QSO's using MMTTY, etc.

Does the Santa Cruz copy 10% better? 20% better? 1 character in 1000 better? Or are the differences mostly in the specs and don't show up for the most part in regular RTTY/PSK QSOs?

73 Phil NA4M