RTTY

Re: [RTTY] FD RTTY Question and Dups

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FD RTTY Question and Dups
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:35:14 -0500
> From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
> Subject: Re: FD RTTY Question
> Date: June 26, 2012 1:20:22 PM CDT
> To: rtty@contesting.com
>
> QSL on the comments about PSK-31 vs. RTTY.  I tried to use PSK-31 and it was
> just too slow and very frustrating where RTTY worked great. I noticed a big
> increase in the number of FD stations running RTTY this year and I think this
> is a good thing.
>
> I learned something new doing an all digital FD regarding dup checks. I found
> one QSO with the same call on 14 MHz for both PSK-31 and RTTY. Most software
> logging programs (as well as the ARRL's LoTW) considers PSK-31 and RTTY as
> separate modes and will not show them as dup. The ARRL DXCC Desk now says if
> it is not CW or Phone, it is Digital.  We first saw the elimination of the
> RTTY DXCC by the ARRL DXCC Desk and now that administrative policy decision
> seems to be leaking over to contesting.
>
> 73 Dick AA5VU

I was surprised at no comments on my message about dups or the ARRL policy
decision that if it is not CW or Phone, it is Digital.

How about Write Log, N1MM etc. Do they log PSK-31 and RTTY as separate modes or
will they tilt on the same call and band if one is PSK-31 and the other is RTTY?

It was interesting today to note K2K Special Event was running PSK-63 and BSK-1
on 20 meters.  I worked K2K in PSK-63 as a digital mode and passed when K2K
showed up again in PSK-31.

Dick