RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Cheating

To: Mike K4GMH <k4gmh@arrl.net>, rtty contesting rttycontesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Cheating
From: Fabi va2up <va2up@live.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:32:17 -0400
Mike,
I don't think Don was talking about you, in fact I have often noticed the same
behaviour from the offending station he was refering to in several contests. I
see your so2r sigs in every contest and your timing is near perfect (I actually
see your sigs since we often use the same bands at the same time and not many
stations put in 40 db on 40M here...). Mistakes happen and I know that this has
unintentionnally happened to me a couple of months ago when experiencing
problems with N1MM that was logging erroneous serial numbers in the log and not
locking out the second radio from tx. I talked about this with Rick N2AMG from
the N1MM supporting staff but somehow the problem went away by
itself,...mistery. I feel more relieved knowing that my TX lockout is now 100%
functional and that I am logging the correct numbers.
IMHO from what I see in rtty contests I can't say that cheating is that bad. I
guess the 'good' cheaters are too hard to spot. I appreciate Don's reaction, I
think that this made us all think about what we did and how we did things in
the past and maybe we will all be more carefull for the times to come.
Sometimes or most times it all comes down to 'read the rules'...this would
probably avoid more than 50% of mistakes that make us look like we're cheating.

73, Fabi  va2up