RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Interesting Discovery

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Interesting Discovery
From: Thom <ki8w@ki8w.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 05:44:04 +0000
Well the rain has stopped and the wind has dried the roof and the swr on my dipoles are now 1:1. Just like I originally tuned them. Maybe the roof is not a sponge but definitely affecting the swr of those antennas when it is wet. I read something about that in one of the antenna books I have.

and the propagation gods were not very friendly tonight.

73

Thom KI8W

On 12/2/2016 02:46, Thom wrote:
So I have had some issues over the past several weeks that has prevented me from entering the weekly NCCC RTTY Sprints. Tonight, all was well with my station until I discovered something I find interesting.

I heard no signals on 20, 40 and 80 meters.

It was then that I heard the rain making a lot of racket on the metal roof I have on the place where I live.

Took a look at the SWR of my carefully tuned dipoles which normally exhibit something very close to a 1:1 SWR.

My SWR readings are near 8:1 right now and that roof is acting like a great big RF sponge for incoming/outgoing signals.

Not much I can do about it...I just find it interesting.

my score in the Sprint was ZERO.

I hope it does not rain this weekend.

Finally, I think the reason I did not discover it earlier is normally when it rains, I am scrambling to disconnect a lot of antennas. I have had lightning strikes before.

Thom KI8W

"Living deep in the black hole of RF"