RTTY

Re: [RTTY] Another reason to sign "portable"

To: W0YR@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Another reason to sign "portable"
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:17:45 -0700
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:48:18 EDT, W0YR@aol.com wrote:

>In contesting, what we care about is ACCURACY.  It is more accurate for K5ZD
>to sign K5ZS/1 from Mass and for W0YR to sign W0YR/4 from Virginia than to not
>do so.  AT LEAST the other operator is alerted to the fact that Randy is NOT

If *accuracy* is really important then lets stop trying to guess
location based on callsigns.  Instead, lets make the location part of
the exchange.  There are several ways to do this.  For example, the
ADIF country code could be part of the exchange, with modifications
for call areas if the contest sponsors desire.  As of now there are
513 country codes so there is plenty of room to add W1, W2, W3, JA1,
VK1, etc, and still be within three digits.

For a list of ADIF country codes go to

http://www.hosenose.com/adif/adif.html

and scroll about half way down the page.

Maidenhead grid locators are another possibility, although they're not
country specific because in some places they overlap countries.  They
would be great for a world-wide grid hunt contest.

Latitude and longitude could be used, although rather long for an
exchange even if rounded off to whole degrees.  Mine would be 34N116W.

Just some ideas to get folks thinking.

--
73, Bill W7TI