SD-User

[SD-User] Using SD

To: <sd-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [SD-User] Using SD
From: "Allen Wootton" <awootton@uniserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:05:18 -0800
Hello,

In general I use CW for ragchewing and casual DX operation.  Also, my main
radio of early 1980 vintage predates computer - radio connection.  However, for
the past few years I have been enjoying operating in a few contests in the QRP
category using an FT-817 and, as I have gotten better, the need for a better
logging system than paper and pencil with post contest transfer to SD has
become very obvious to me.  Consequently, I would like to use SD for logging
during a contest with some measure of connectivity between the computer and the
FT-817 so that band and mode changes would be recorded and also so that I can
send messages at the touch of a button.

When I look in my reference books and on the internet I find so many different
pieces of equipment for sale and circuits that provide rig to PC connections
that I feel confused about what I actually need to operate SD with an FT-817.
I would really appreciate any suggestions as to how to make a simple interface
between an FT-817 and a PC that would allow me to experiment with SD.  I have
an older computer that has both a serial and a parallel port as well as USB
connectors and I would prefer to make my own interface rather than just buying
one.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

73,

Allen, VE7BQO