SD-User

Re: [SD-User] Old logs - Thanks!

To: Rik IZ2EJU <iz2eju@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [SD-User] Old logs - Thanks!
From: "g3wyw@BT via SD-User" <sd-user@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 12:05:55 +0000
Hi Enriko,

I wonder what PC you were using with SD back then? Did it have a real serial or
parallel port I wonder? Simple keying interfaces using NPN transistors for PTT
and CW keying were OK then with DOS PCs or early versions of Windows up to XP.

However later versions of Windows changed the way serial ports were supported.
Microsoft famously said “ We won’t guarantee when your serial data will be
sent, but we will guarantee it will get there!”. This paid havoc with time
critical applications like CW keying in programs like SD, and paved the way for
Winkey type keying units. These just send the CW messages as ASCII down the
serial port and the Winkeyer converts to CW keying output for the radio and is
the preferred ways of remote keying unless your radio has a built in USB
interface for CAT, CW keying and AFSK based data modes like FT8 etc.

So, I think you using winkey with SD on Windows7 for keying your FT100 is
probably the best solution available.

73 Paul G3WYW
Sent from my iPad