TRLog

logcfg.dat for SS

Subject: logcfg.dat for SS
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:52:35 -0600 (CST)
>Hi George -
>  You (or somebody) doesnt have a logcfg.dat file laying around
>for SS that they would be willing to share, do they?  I have
>made one for my own use, but am curious what I am leaving out
>that should be in there.
>
>Dave
>kk9w

Dave - and everyone else.  Here is the section from the
current manual that covers the creation of LOGCFG.DAT files.
The method outlined is how Tree and I use the software.
It is the easy way to do it.  I will go out to W5KFT
tonight and do excatly what follows.

++++++++++ from the TR manual ++++++++++++++

2.1  THE EASY WAY TO SETUP THE PROGRAM

If you followed the steps in section 2.0 to operate your first contest, you
might find this section useful is setting the program up to operate your
next contest.

The first thing that you need to do decide on a directory where you will
keep your contest logs.  In the following examples the actual directories of
one of our power users are named.

A sub-directory called "contests"  is created off the log directory (where
install puts the program files) and then sub directories off of
"\log\contests" are created for each contest as you setup the program for
them.  You might have sub-directories named ss96cw, iaru96,  sac96,
cq95cw and ss96ssb.  In each sub-directory, you can find all the files
specific to that contest.

You do not need to have separate copies of the TR or POST programs in
each of these directories.  Having the directory the program files are
located in listed in your PATH statement will allow the program files to
be executed regardless of which directory you are logged into.

Here are the steps one would make to setup for the 1996 CW
Sweepstakes contest:

>From the C: prompt.

Type:  cd  \log\contests        (to enter the contests sub directory)
Type:  md ss96cw                (to create the new sub directory)
Type:  cd ss96cw                (to enter the new sub directory)

Type:  TR                               (to start TR-Log)

At this point TR will ask you if you want to let it step you through the
creation of a LOGCFG.DAT file - answer yes.

Answer the questions asking for your callsign, contest, and CW port
settings.  After you have answered the questions TR will start up.

After TR is running you are ready to operate most of the contests that TR
supports - if you have radios
and TNCs that need setting up or would like to change any of the program
defaults you will need to do a bit more to the LOGCFG.DAT file.

Many changes can be made while the program is running with the
Control-J menu.  This is often easier than editing the LOGCFG.DAT file
with a text editor.  Some parameters you might be interested in changing
include: CONFIRM EDIT CHANGES and AUTO DUPE ENABLE.
You can jump ahead to specific entries by pressing the first letter of the
parameter.

When you have made all your changes in Control-J menu, press Alt-G to
save those changes to the LOGCFG.DAT file so they will be remembered
if you restart the program.  Exit the Control-J menu by pressing ESCAPE.

If you are operating a CW contest, the next step is to check the CW
messages to make sure you are happy with them.  Many contests have
default messages which will work, but some contests require you to enter
exchange information when sending exchanges which include your name,
precedence, check, QTH and so on.
To examine the CW messages, use the Alt-P command.  You will want to
check out the CQ EXCHANGE, S&P EXCHANGE and QSL
MESSAGE under the (O)ther menu, and the various CQ and
EXCHANGE function messages you would like to use.

The final step is to exit the program to setup your rig interface, TNC
interface and other things that can not be done from the Control-J menu or
the startup screen.  If you always have the same radio and TNC setups
you can create a file that has all of this information in it and call it from
the LOGCFG.DAT file with one line - this saves you from having to re-
enter that info for each contest .  This is done with the command INPUT
CONFIG FILE =  [file name and path].  If you follow this process, you
should end up with files similar to the ones shown in section 2.2.

You should work a few test QSOs to make sure the program is responding
correctly before actually starting the contest.  Just before the contest, exit
the program and delete the RESTART.BIN, LOG.DAT  and LOG.TMP
files that were created during the setup.  Now you are ready to type TR
and operate the contest.

2.2  EXAMPLE  LOGCFG.DAT  AND  INPUT  CONFIG  FILE

LOGCFG.DAT
MY CALL = WB5VZL
CONTEST = sweepstakes

INPUT CONFIG FILE = \LOG\WB5VZL.CFG

DISPLAY MODE = COLOR
KEYER OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
PADDLE PORT = 1

The above lines (except INPUT CONFIG FILE) were generated by TR at
startup.

AUTO DUPE ENABLE CQ = FALSE
CHECK LOG FILE SIZE = TRUE
CONFIRM EDIT CHANGES = FALSE
CW TONE = 0
FLOPPY FILE SAVE NAME = a:\logsave.dat
PADDLE MONITOR TONE = 320
TWO RADIO MODE = TRUE
WEIGHT = 1.05
SHOW SEARCH AND POUNCE = TRUE

The above set of lines were generated by using the Control-J command.

CQ EXCHANGE = # B WB5VZL 76 STX
REPEAT S&P EXCHANGE = # B WB5VZL 76 STX
S&P EXCHANGE = # B WB5VZL 76 STX
QUICK QSL MESSAGE= TU WB5VZL
REPEAT S&P EXCHANGE = # B WB5VZL 76 STX
QSL MESSAGE = 73 \ SS
QSO BEFORE MESSAGE =  SRI QSO B4 73 \ SS
CQ MEMORY F1 = CQ^SS \ \ SS
CQ MEMORY F2 = CQ^SS CQ^SS CQ^SS  \ \

The above set of lines were generated by using the Alt-P command.

Sample of the INPUT CONFIG FILE - WB5VZL.CFG - created with
text editor
PADDLE PORT = 1
KEYER RADIO ONE OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 1
KEYER RADIO TWO OUTPUT PORT = PARALLEL 2

RADIO ONE CONTROL PORT = SERIAL 1
RADIO ONE BAUD RATE = 2400
RADIO ONE NAME = FT1000
RADIO ONE TYPE = FT1000