TRLog

[TRLog] TR 6.64 comments...

Subject: [TRLog] TR 6.64 comments...
From: rrossi@btv.ibm.com (Ron D. Rossi)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:21:01 -0400
>>>VR2BrettGraham said:
> I2WIJ mentioned:
>
> >40M  IK5ABH/P (displayed on the Band Map as IK5AIH/)
>
> I reply here as maybe I'm alone with this idea, but since we (should be)
> are aware of what band we are on, rather than including the Mc bit of
> the frequency in the bandmap, might displaying only the kc & fractions
> of a kc bit of the frequency be better, therefore allowing display of a
> longer call?

The display can handle multiple bands, so the MHz info is relevant.

> I would've thought that knowing IK5AIH/P is his call, rather than knowing
> he's on 7-point-something megacycles is of more benefit to the operator,
> but admittedly there are times when I haven't a clue what band I'm on &
> all those 7s in the bandmap seem to drive the point home.  ;^)

The full call shows up in the call window as you tune by it, and you know the
most important things about the station at a glance: 1) have I worked it
before, 2) is it a multiplier.

Some options for folks to consider to free up some space for longer calls:

1) dropping the 1/10 MHz digit and the decimal (9 characters for calls)
2) dropping just the decimal point itself (8 characters for calls)
3) reducing the number of columns displayed by one (lots of white space)
4) leave it alone (7 characters for calls)

--
73 es God Bless de KK1L...ron rossi(kk1l@arrl.net) <><
QTH: Jericho, Vermont