TRLog

[TRLog] Band Map Scanning

Subject: [TRLog] Band Map Scanning
From: sdelling@facstaff.wisc.edu (Scott Ellington)
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:58:35 -0600
Here in the heart of the Black Hole, we spend a lot of time in S&P mode.  The
TRLOG band map is an extremely powerful tool, especially WITHOUT packet.  My
S&P method involves scanning the band quickly, entering every possible new QSO
in the band map, then later scanning through the band map entries and picking
off those with the right timing.  I never wait around for a QSO to finish when
tuning.  I'm sure there are other effective methods, but this one works well
for me.  There are, however, a couple simple features that could make this
even more efficient:

1.  A keyboard command that will take the radio to the next non-dupe entry on
the band map. This would provide an efficient way to do the scanning, WITHOUT
having to enter each frequency in the radio memory as well as on the band map.
(I know you can do this with a mouse, but I like to keep my hands on the
keyboard.)  Once worked, of course, a call becomes a dupe and doesn't appear
in the next scan.

2.  When a dupe on the band map appears in the call window, there should be an
indication IN THE CALL WINDOW that it is a dupe, without having to hit the
space bar.  (Change of color, etc.) As it is, you have to scan down to the
band map to look for the asterisk.

3.  When the band map dupe display is suppressed, the call of a dupe, along
with the dupe indicator, should still appear in the call window when tuning
back to that frequency.  That way when scanning the band you would know you
were probably listening to a dupe, but the band map display wouldn't be
cluttered with them.

******

I know the wish list is very long, but I can't think of any features that
would do more to enhance S&P efficiency.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--
Scott Ellington