TRLog

[TRLog] POST ate Chip & J!

Subject: [TRLog] POST ate Chip & J!
From: vr2bg@harts.org.hk (VR2BrettGraham)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:11:36 +0000
S57AD added:

>Um, I noticed the same thing as Brett did. I think it *is* related with the
>size of cells. I have quite large database (TRMASTER.ASC size is 1.7 MB),
>with 'S5' cell being the largest, and there are disappearing calls right
>from that cell. That doesn't wonder me, as Pascal allows just 64 kB large
>cells, so larger ones are obviously truncated.

Well, at least it isn't just me - cheers, Mirko!

The JA cell, from my recollection, came out because I'd hit that 64k brick
wall.  My largest one now is JH, at ~43k.  It'll be a while before I run into
that one again.  I think Tree did some preventative maintenance at that
time & ditched the DL cell & perhaps some others, too.

Shame on us who have big TRMASTER files!

But what I think I'm seeing is some previously unnoticed nastiness where
calls disappear from the file & the common denominator is that both VY1JA
& K7JA have JA in the call - the cell which was removed to avoid running
into the brick wall.  Previously, it was thought that perhaps POST was
removing VY1JA due to something else (a name with length of one may be
throwing it a wobbly), but that can't explain POST making K7JA vanish.

Therefore, perhaps other cells that were removed to avoid the brick wall
problem are falling foul of this behavior I've seen with JA.  I'm sure anyone
else seeing this would be helpful feedback for Tree.

Alternatively, I might just be seeing J disappear because he didn't work Tree
in SS once, but I haven't a clue what there might be between him & Chip.
Nobody else noticed before how POST used to swap K1AR & K1DG's
names, so maybe this is simply a test to see if we're awake.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham