TenTec

[TenTec] Weak Sig/Filter BW [was:Ten-tec noise and RX questions}

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Weak Sig/Filter BW [was:Ten-tec noise and RX questions}
From: JimN0OCT@aol.com (JimN0OCT@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:45:09 EDT
Hi All,

In a message dated 28-Oct-99 08:59:39 Central Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

> Using a wider filter does not move the noise to a new
>  frequency and improve S/N.

That isn't what I was saying.  What I was trying to relate was the fact that
your brain is trying to distinguish between a weak signal at a mentally
focused frequency and noise.  The way my ears seem to work, the wider the
filter, the wider bands of frequencies my brain can identify as 'noise'.  I
am able to better dig out weak sigs with a wide filter than with a narrow one
[assuming the band isn't crowded].  It takes training your brain to do that,
but I've been successful at it.

Where I use tight CW filters on my rigs is during contests where the bands
are *crowded*.  If I am trying to work weak signals on a crowded band, it's
tougher [because I have to use narrow filters] for me than on an uncrowded
band given the same noise level.

Anyhow, I'll be getting lots of practice at this the weekend of 6-7 November
in Sweepstakes.  Anybody else?

73,. Jim
NØOCT