TenTec

[TenTec] Re: [CW] Kachina vs. Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [CW] Kachina vs. Omni VI+
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 07:42:56 -1000

-----Original Message-----
From: Vic Rosenthal <rakefet@rakefet.com>
To: Jim Reid <jreid@aloha.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sunday, September 06, 1998 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: [CW] Kachina vs. Omni VI+

>>Yes,  after I posted,  I did read the May, '98 ARRL review,  plus
>> I down loaded the Extended Report they did on the  VI+.
>>
>> All it took was one line of the review of the Kachiha for me to forget
it,
>> hi!

>> Has more noise than the Omni.
>
>I think the CW QSK/keying performance was better with the Omni also .

Yes.  at the Kachina web site,  they say they 505 has QSK "only
above 30 wpm",  at QRS the "transmitter hangs",  whatever that
means.  They go to say it is because the Kachina completes
each CW character for you!!  That is different.

>I'm sure that ultimately all rigs will be computer-controlled to the degree
that
>the Kachina is, and I'm sure that ultimately IF/DSP filter performance will
>surpass cascaded crystal filters.  Give them 5 years or so!

But,  I think I will need to order a new rig next week!  However,  a bit
put off by the fellow who just got his new Omni+ from Ten Tec,  I
guess yesterday,  and it would reset to 14000 and 1200 o'clock each
time he turned in off  and later back on!  Ten Tec says they burn
each rig in for several hours,  then check performance again,  but
maybe they didn't/don't turn them on/off a couple of times as part
of the check??

73,   Jim,  KH7M

73,  Jim,  KH7M