TenTec

[TenTec] 1st DX Contact

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1st DX Contact
From: alex.ai2q@worldnet.att.net (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:45:51 -0500
Hi Carl:

Congrats on the DX QSO, and thanks for your note to the group.

For many, many years I lived in cliff dwellings. in my last QTH, I ran
nothing more than a hidden end-fed wire that ran out the window, alongside
the brick building a few feet from the outer wall, and then across the
rooftop a foot above the tarpaper. It used the steam radiator as a
counterpoise. My rigs were Ten Tec Argonauts 509 and 515s.

In any case, i made hundreds of DX QSOs on all bands, including 80 meters,
on CW and SSB too. In fact, many of the SSB contacts gave me terrific
reports, and if I didn't tell the other op I was running 3 or 4 watts,
they'd never ask!

I also was one of the first to use AMTOR in the mid-1980s, and of course,
the Argonaut's silky smooth QSK break-in worked really, really well for
that. I had many FB AMTOR contacts, many were long rag chews. The ol' Argo
would puff away, chirping for all it was worth and maintaining the virtual
connection!

So, QRP and simple antennas are no reason for any ham to not have fun! If
you pay attention to a well insulated antenna, a good ground, low-loss
match, and you operate thoughtfully, you can have a blast.

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine .-.-.

Regards,