TenTec

Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion I firmware

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion I firmware
From: "RM" <royalct@inr.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:38:49 -0500
A maintenance contract for a few hundred dollars a year; I'll go back to
buying legacy radios like the upcoming FT-2000.  Do the code correct the
first time.

Software can mature early on, later on, or never.  I've successfully managed
software projects in the past.

I've learned that when one uses light duty processors/memory combined with
elegant programming, bugs fit into the last category; that is, fix one thing
break several other things resulting in code that never gets fixed.

I am not a software engineer, thank goodness, but an engineer, project and
program manager that was taught the systems engineering and design
process.............One cannot end up with 'elegant' code when following a
disciplined management/design approach, and bugs usually fit into the first
category (that is fix one thing, and nothing else breaks.  Been there, Done
it......it works, but the investment up front is large.

Please do not get me wrong, I've upgraded my Orion to the Orion II.  Love
the radio.

Ron, NU1U