TenTec

Re: [TenTec] intermittent OmniVI rx problem

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] intermittent OmniVI rx problem
From: "Don Jones" <ko7i@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:12:59 -0700
Don't be too quick to blame the "6".
Much to my sha-grin I discovered a problem with my "6" was actually a
problem with the bypass contacts of T/R relay in my Clipperton L RF Power
Amplifier.
I recently purchased a MFJ Auto tuner for use with my "6".
I wanted of course to check the tuning range of it so I hooked it up
directly to my 20M Double Extended Zepp and began "tuning the bands" to see
if there was a freq the tuner did not like. I did not bother with 160M.
Anyways I settled in on the 4A4A DX-pedition on 40M and was listening to
them run their CW pile up.
At that point I decided to re-connect my "6" back thru the amplifier, next
thing I knew 4A4A was down 4 to 5 s-units and copy was poor.
I immediately swapped back to direct connection to the antenna (thru the
auto tuner) and the copy was restored to 589.
I have seen amplifier T/R relays fail on the transmit poles, but this was
the first failure I have encountered on the bypass (receive) poles of a T/R
relay.
Since you said ARRL DX Contest, I wonder if you are using a amplifier and
you might be having a similar problem?
73,
Don Jones
Arlington, WA