TenTec

[TenTec] Future TT projects

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Future TT projects
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Mon Jun 2 17:00:04 2003
There were two main factors in IBM becoming a trivial player in the home
computer market they helped to build:

(1)  The head of the PC business (and I wish I could remember his name
offhand) died in a plane crash, and his successors lacked his vision.
(2)  IBM tried to steer the market back towards a proprietary
architecture -- and failed.  (Remember the PS/2?  Ironic, isn't it, that PCI
cards use the same types of slots that the PS/2 machines wanted to use)

These aren't by any means the only ones -- getting snookered by Microsoft on
how to handle the future of OS/2 when they split up the development team
(ironic considering that MS OS/2 became Windows NT, later Windows 2000, now
Windows XP) might even rank up there with the other two factors -- but those
two were huge ones.
73, ron wn3vaw

AJ:  "Did you ever hear of Evel Kneival?"
Lev:  "I never saw Star Wars"

-- Armageddon