TenTec

[TenTec] VFB Homebrew Gear!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] VFB Homebrew Gear!
From: ai2q@ispchannel.com (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:22:07 -0400

        Steve, I've had similar experiences with the technicians at Ten-Tec,
and--in fairness--at other places too. I used to be a service technician at
Heathkit for many years, so I know what it's like. But, the key thing for a
tech is to say "I don't know" when you don't, and then study the schematics,
etc (as you did) to find out what is correct. I suspect the technicians you
spoke with didn't have that acumen, or were too busy, or not technical
enough.

         I had occasion to chat with TT's techs once about my 961 power supply,
and
they really didn't have a clue about how the circuit worked. I understood
the nuance of the circuit I was asking about, but they most certainly did
not. However, in fairness, they gave me the typical voltages to look for on
certain pads. That kind of information will likely serve 95% of the hams
calling in.

        If you can deal with TT's low cost boards and sometimes strange way of
mounting components, the saving grace is that you can typically service the
equipment yourself.

         When people ask me about TT---and I own an Argo 515 and an Omni-V, and
have owned other TT rigs too---I always say that the equipment is excellent,
and add that, to me, it's akin to very fine, nicely constructed
high-performance homemade gear.

        Don't shoot the techs at TT. They didn't design the equipment.

        You're obviously capable of checking out your own rig and seeing how
things
work. Look at TT as a terrific resource, factor in what its techs tell you
with your own experience and knowledge, and know the company will gladly
supply you with spare parts if it can. I think that's an unbeatable
combo--and it underscores the old premise that hams should be able to fix
their own rigs!

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine   .-.-.