TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 580 Delta

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 580 Delta
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:30:11 -0400
Paul,

I have a 580 delta.  You are correct about the RIT.  It has a range of +- 1
khz.  I have not heard of anyone extending this range.  I made an external
VFO for mine to handle split operation.  Years ago Tentec was at the
Charlotte Hamfest and had some excess PTO's for sale.  I bought 4 of them.
I then took one and added a switching circuit and made a nice external VFO
that way.

Also, you are correct about no RF gain control.  I have never found this to
be a problem with the delta.  The IMD on the Delta is actually quite decent.
The weakest part of the Delta is the AGC.  It is audio derived and like all
audio derived AGC's, the attack is never fast enough.  This results in a
"pop" when a strong signal suddenly comes on.  But all in all, I have found
the delta to be an excellent vacation rig.

73,

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC