TenTec

[TenTec] Orion II S meter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II S meter
From: "Ken Waites" <BARBIEKENW@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:56:18 -0600
Well , speaking only for myself, I will not worry one second about S-meter
accuracy -- if there is such a thing.

I think S meter readings are as important as the signal report you get during a
contest or DXpedition - everybody is 599.  Be happy, but improve your antenna
anyway.

All it does for me is provide a comparison for when the person on the other end
switches from A to B -- "yep that one is stronger", i.e. its only the
comparison that matters.  If anyone thinks going from +15 over to +20 over
means they got 5 db more ...  -- well, I think there may be better measuring
techniques.  Only "you are a bit stronger than before" matters.

Q: "Was that with the preamp on or off?"  "Did you have your antenna directly
on me?"  Is the gain linear? Did you have parallax problems reading the meter?

A: "Gees, I gave you a 30 over report -- what else do you want?"