TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Embassy Antennas

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net,'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Embassy Antennas
From: "Joel R. Hallas" <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 12:13:39 -0500
During my US Army days in DL land (1963-65), our embassy folk had large LPDA
arrays on the roof at the consulate building in Frankfurt used to monitor sw
and mw foreign broadcasts. There was a room with about 30 51J4s in racks
filling most of one wall.

Each night they would ship, via TTY, a translated summary of the received
news reports. It would go through our VHF/microwave network (long gone,
including the 300 foot tower I sometimes had to change the bulbs on!) to the
UK and to the US, probably by cable. It was reputed to end up on the
president's desk every morning.

We used to keep a TTY machine on the circuit, so we knew what was happening
before JFK and later LBJ did!

Regards, Joel
Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR