TenTec

[TenTec] triton 4 pto rebuild

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] triton 4 pto rebuild
From: Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@bnoc.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:18:27 -0400
Hi Lane--

I just rebuilt the PTO's on an Argosy II and a Triton 544.  Both
are digital rigs.  Rebuilding them was MUCH easier than I
anticipated.  Although I had rebuild kits on hand, I decided to
just clean out the old gummy, sticky grease, regrease and
reassemble the PTO's.  The results were 'like-new' performance,
smooth as silk!

It does take some time to do the job, so you might want to
replace the parts while you are doing it.  The kit contains
every mechanical part used in the PTO, new grease and
instructions.
I had the strong notion that my problems was caused solely by
deteriorated grease.  That was the case with my PTO's.  I'd
venture to say that that is almost always the problem.  Now I
still have the rebuild kits on hand, should I ever need them.

There was quite a discussion on this reflector about 2 months
ago on rebuilding/regreasing the PTO's.  You could look in the
archive.  After doing the job myself and seeing first hand how
it all fits together, I would not attempt anything short of
removing the PTO, disassembling it, cleaning the parts (I tried
alcohol to dissolve the grease and it didn't work) with Dawn
dishwashing liquid (what I had on the sink), and greasing them
up really good with a high quality grease.  I used a bicycle
grease made by Phil Woods given to me by a local bike shop -- I
took a 35 mm film container and they gave me plenty enough to do
15 or 20 regreasings.

Good luck to you with your project.  73

Mike                               N4NT@bigfoot.com
     Michael O. Hyder