TenTec

[TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories
From: N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:15:27 -0400
Hi Caitlyn--

Hope you are getting the model 220 8-pole SSB filter to REPLACE the stock
4-pole, if it hasn't already been replaced.  If you do replace that filter,
know that Ten-Tec recommends resetting the carrier oscillator trimmers.  It
is an easy job if you have access to a frequency counter.

The audio CW filter is available as a kit under license from Ten-Tec (I'm
told) and sold by Embedded Research for $40.  Here is the URL to their home
page:
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~embres/products.htm

Here is the URL of their AF-224 filter kit:
  http://www.frontiernet.net/~embres/af224.htm

The noise blankers for the Argosy have never done much for me -- don't get
too worked-up about finding one.  The calibrator is really nifty, though.
Hope you can find one.  Personally, I find that I have more fun and more
QSO's with an analog rig.  With a digital one, I tend to stay below a
certain frequency.  With an analog rig, I tend to tune around more and find
interesting folks to talk with.  But there are folks who sell pre-scaling
counter displays that take the internal frequencies of the rig and display
the frequency down to as close as you want it.  They are small and cheap.
The Ten-Tec frequency display unit that matched the analog Triton or old
Omni rigs would also work, as the internal frequencies of the Argosy are the
same.  There is a display maker on the web, too.  Here is the URL:
 http://www.aade.com/welcome.htm

One accessory you left off your list is the amplifier switching board model
1126.  It has a little relay and is used to switch a non-QSK amplifier.  It
provides an adjustable drop-out delay, just like the big rigs.

There was some talk recently about being able to obtain those magnetic
circuit breakers from marine stores.  The talk was about the 20 amp unit,
but I'm sure the 10 amp unit is available, too.  But note that when using
the 225 supply, current limiting is built into the supply.  If you exceed
it, the rig will just shut down almost instantaneously and wait for you to
power it down and back up.  Unless you intend to use the rig from some other
supply, you will not need the breaker.

Good luck in your search.  It will be time well spent!

Regards,
Mike N4NT@wireco.net
Johnson City, Tennessee