TenTec

[TenTec] Re: RX-340 and Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: RX-340 and Noise Reduction
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 19:24:05 -0000
Chip,

The AGC in the RX340 has a 120 db range.  There is 80 db for analog
AGC and 40 db for the DSP AGC.  As long as there is not more than
40 db difference in the signals passing through the16 khz roofing filter,
the DSP AGC controls
everything and the DSP filters will work with no AGC pumping whatsoever.
But when you get a difference in signals through the 16 khz roofing filter
of
more than 40 db, the analog AGC has to come into play to keep the
DSP from being overloaded.  So this is a design limitation of the DSP
system only having a 40 DB range.  I will say that the analog system
employed in the RX340 is the excellent and makes this limitation hardly
noticable except in the extreme signal strange range you noted.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC