TenTec

[TenTec] orion sweep mod, questions...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] orion sweep mod, questions...
From: "Ken Brookner" <kenb@brookner.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:17:54 -0800
first, i apologize if this shows up twice; i posted it last night but never
saw it appear on the list...

i have the original orion and i have installed the v2 beta firmware.  other
than some of the nits mentioned here, i have no major problems.  i do have
quite a bit of s-meter variance depending upon how my bandwidth is set.
that's definitely different than with the v1.372 i was running before.

last night i did the sweep mod.  pretty straightforward and the excellent
documentation from tentec leaves almost no room for error.  in my former
career i did this type of work all the time and this is a really simple
modification.

my problem is that though the sweep will now turn on under the v2 beta
firmware, all i see is noise.  i can tune across strong signals, but they do
not appear on the sweep.  i've done a master reset and regressed to the
1.372 firmware, also with a master reset (memories and filters too), but the
results are the same--sweep with only noise.

i've rechecked my mod and ohmed the trace cuts to insure that they are
really cut--they are.  i've rechecked and reseated all of the connectors
disconnected during the procedure.

tentec service hasn't heard of this happening with the sweep mod before.

any ideas?

thanks
kenb ky5g