TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the field
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:21:58 +0200
John,

The lynchpin to having a good signal when operating low power portable, is a
good antenna.
Some people take a great rig, run it at reduced power on a crappy antenna
(i.e., mobil whip mounted to a ground stake), and wonder why they don't work
anybody.

Wire can be a wonderful antenna, but you have to get it up high in the air.
That's why I always took a telescoping fiberglass pole with me.
In the early days they were just 8m long.
Later there were some purpose-built poles for ham radio that were 10m long.
Today you can get them in even stronger quality in lengths of 12m or 18m.
In fact they even come as long as 26m but that's a bit overkill for a
one-man expedition.

For Field Day I always ran a doublet, with each leg 13m long, and fed with
300 Ohm Openwire.
I had a tiny little MFJ Matchbox (T-filter), with a built in Balun.
The Balun was great for 5w QRP or 20w, etc., but I burned it up running
100w.
Had to re-build it, then never tried 100w with it again.

For my normal excursions I had a special lightweight 3-band dipole:

 - made of thin Teflon-insulated stranded copper wire (I guess about AWG 22
or so)
 - cut for 20m, insulator, more wire for 40m
 - 2x short jumpers for jumping the insulator between 20m and 40m segments,
for 40m operation
 - 2x short stubs with alligator clips to extend the antenna for 15m
operation (6 inches on each end)
 - fed with about 50' of RG-174  (YES, THE THIN STUFF).
 - A ball of twine for tying off the ends

Twine was cheap and disposable if it got too tangled.  Ends tied off to
trees, or if nothing else, simply to stakes in the ground.

The thin RG-174 is sufficient and loss is really not bad for short runs at
those frequencies.  The loss is worse if you use heavier coax, and then fail
to get the antenna high in the air!

A 40m dipole has a fairly good match on 15m but unfortunately on the very
high end of the band.
What you want to do is cut your dipole for about 7.1 MHz.
Then when you use it on 15m, clip about 15cm (6") of wire on to each end (I
used alligator clips), and just let the stub hang.  This drops the 40m
resonance near the bottom of the band, which moves the 15m resonance to a
more usable spot.

The key is to get the center (point of max current) as high as possible.
Therefore the fiberglass pole.
But you can't hang a lot of weight on the pole, so you can't use a Buxcom
Windom or a Morgain dipole.
You have to design a lightweight dipole from the ground up.

Notice:  NO BALUN.  By low power and portable field operations, what for?
If you think you MUST use a balun, then about a foot before the coax would
reach the ground, wrap about 8 to 10 turns of the coax around a 3" piece of
PVC pipe.  Then when erecting the antenna, slip this over the pole; that
will hold it in place.

This was my primary antenna for most operations (except contests).

Source of good quality fiberglass poles:  W4PA, (Scott)

73
Rick, DJ0IP