TenTec

[TenTec] Orion I RIT/XIT problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion I RIT/XIT problem
From: "Vincent Bond" <k7na@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:34:04 -0700
I have serial number 03C10885 with v2.062a and have been experiencing the same
RIT/XIT problem ever since 2.062a was loaded. I have reset, reloaded etc., but
the RIT function is intermittent, with the result being that, for the most
part, it just does not work.
Last week, on a lark I reset the PBT/BW step rate to 50 Hz from 10 Hz and the
RIT/XIT immediately worked fine for a day or two before it quit. During that
time, If I returned to 10 Hz, it stopped functioning. Reset to 50 Hz, it
worked. That led me to suspect a firmware issue because the encoder worked
perfectly. I still think there may be a firmware issue causing this problem in
many cases.
Being so busy at work, I have not had the time to play with reloading older
firware versions to see if the problem when away. Perhaps someone with more
free time might investigate that. I hope someone finds the culprit because it
is exceedingly annoying to use a ncessary control that works only a small
percentage of the time.

Vince K7NA

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:11:45 -0400
From: "John T. Fleming" <W3GQJ@embarqmail.com>
To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>

I have a theory on the Orion XIT/RIT problem.  I now think the problem is
with the ribbon cable that is connected to J2B in drawing 81917_3.PDF in the
designator A8.   My serial number is
06C10363.  I wonder what other serial numbers are having the same problem.
I bought my Orion 9-16-03.