TenTec

[TenTec] About to place order: OMNI VI+ & TenTec Customer Relations

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] About to place order: OMNI VI+ & TenTec Customer Relations
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:05:40 -1000
Some one has written of the great Customer support
given by Ten Tec,  Dale replied:

>If this sort of thing keeps up, pretty soon we Omni VI/VI+'s
>owners will be JUST ANOTHER Omni VI/VI+ operator on the bands.
>
>I don't like it.  I don't like it one bit.

Aloha Dale and the group,

Well,  early next week I will be calling to TT to place my OmniVI+
order,  loaded with filters.  And thanks to the many of you who
sent along recommendations about the filter line up for mostly
a CW rig. Maybe even tomorrow if I get my courage up!

A couple suggested IRA/IRC filters,  but his web site shows only three,
and they are not yet available/for sale.  So will just go ahead with
TT filters.  One advantage is  said to be lower insertion loss:
well that makes no difference at all at IF;  the overall sensitivity
and s/n level has been set by the front end at RF and some RF
gain,  not by the IF.. Yes,  my Kenwood 950SDX actually deteriorated
the signal level as tighter CW filters were put in line;  that was just
poor engineering,  easily dealt with by IF amplifier design.  I
presume Ten Tec engineers have done that.  It certainly is
true in my Corsair II,  in fact the signal seems to be enhanced
in s/n as the filters become tighter with it!

Second is the issue of filter shielding;  another feature of the
IRA/IRC filters;  whereas the TT filters are just in plastic boxes?
Not sure.  Anyway,  that might be a problem in a multi-multi
contest station environment.  At least it was at KH7R over
here on Oahu.  Ken has replaced his Omni's with other rigs;
just yesterday picking up my 1000D.  I asked him specifically
why he had dropped the Omni's;  he gave that answer,  just
too much impacted by the other stations rigs/linears;  perhaps
that occurred because of the unshielded filters?  Again,  I
don't know.  I  have rcv'd  notes from several of you expressing
your joy at how well your OmniVI's did in contest situations, and
one great experience at Field Day.  I don't know if any of these
were in an all band-simultaneous, full power,  multi-multi situation
or not.

However for me out here on Kauai,  that is of no consequences.  Yes
I have a couple other guys in my near area:  KH6F is perhaps three
miles to my East,  and he is almost 100% RTTY.  The other is Joe,
AH0A  up on the hill to my NW,  probably 2 miles away.  He is QRT
just now,  but is planning a major set up soon -- lots of antenna
power,  etc. But I do not expect any overload problems to occur
even if we all three should be on the same band simultaneously,
I just feel they are far enough away that it would not even begin
to approach the RF input overload/blowby problems which must
somehow be dealt with in the big time multi-multi station such as
is the case at KH7R.

Hope I am correct;  any comments,  just before I pick up the phone to
place an order?

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai