TenTec

[TenTec] On Contact Cleaning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] On Contact Cleaning
From: N4LQ@iglou.com (Steve Ellington N4LQ)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:53:43 -0500

>In my experience, WD-40 claims far more (like a politician) than it
>delivers. I no longer bother with applying lubricant with the staying
>power of air. If I want deoxidation I use R-5 or Deoxit  If I want
>lubrication, I apply lubricating oil. WD-40 is neither of these.

Exactly. For properly cleaning contacts, we want neither a "deoxidant" or a
"lubricating oil" and it's true, WD-40 is neither.

Deoxit is considered a CLEANER/DEGREASER according to the US Goverment. See:

http://www.dscr.dla.mil/PRODUCTS/EPA/n6.htm

This, according to TenTec's manual SHOULD NOT BE USED. Degreasers will
remove the impregnated oils from the contacts causing permanent damage.

Neither should lubricating oil be used on contacts. So again, WD-40 meets
this requirement as you so stated.

As for politics, Deoxit, being a DEGREASER also claims to LUBRICATE. Not go
figure that one! Sounds like double speak to me.

Now, I just got through spraying some WD-40 into the push buttons on my
cordless phone.  Finally, I can use those buttons without having to pound on
them.

73 N4LQ