TenTec

[TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM (Warning!: Heavy Sarcasm)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM (Warning!: Heavy Sarcasm)
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Wed Apr 23 09:31:10 2003
Bill,

No the current DRM project is to develop and test the methodology. There is
development (and there is a picture of a prototype) of standalone receivers
(even portables) that will be able to receive DRM.

However, from the one DRM broadcast that I monitored, I noticed that there
is no AM audio for a conventional receiver, so you must have a DRM receiver
to listen to a DRM broadcast.

In the past, the US government has mandated that new broadcast schemes (FM
stereo and color TV) be compatible with existing receivers. From what I read
about digital AM broadcasting, that is also true. However, HDTV appears to
not be compatible with existing receivers, so the government mandates that
all receivers sold after a certain date (2005?) be HDTV compatible.

Since DRM is an international project, there's no such requirement. Also,
I'm not aware of any domestic broadcasts in DRM so perhaps the FCC isn't
allowing it.

Mark