TenTec

[TenTec] Orion - Ver. 3.30 / RF GAIN

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion - Ver. 3.30 / RF GAIN
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 06:08:00 +0100
Hey Guys,

Just a suggestion . . . (might  work)

Here is my $5 suggestion to fix the problem.

Build yourself an external RF Attenuator with 3dB, 6dB, 12dB.  Cascade them
such that you can dial in 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24dB.
Run RG-174 (the very thin stuff) from the input and output of this
attenuator, back into the Orion.
Insert this in the RX ANT line in series with the existing attenuator (I'm
assuming it has one; can't remember).

Now you have an easy to use, dedicated control and don't have to use the
Multi-Knob.

Maybe my assumption that more signal attenuation will achieve the same thing
as reduced RF-Gain is wrong.
In that case never-mind, this was a bad idea.  But I think it will work.

Of course you could always buy an Eagle, which has an RF Gain control  ;-)

73
Rick, DJ0IP