TenTec

[TenTec] triton 4

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] triton 4
From: N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:54:55 -0400
Typically, the problem occurs when moving to the left on other of their
units.  Here's the deal:  The dial cord which moves that pointer is made of
two sections.  One is plain dial cord, but the other is an elastic bungee
cord.  The bungee cord is stretched as the pointer moves in one direction
and it contracts to pull the pointer in the other direction.

With age, that cord's elasticity gets less and less because the rubber in it
deteriorates.  Ten-Tec will send you (probably free) a new section of the
bungee cord and a couple of little metal pieces to crimp it onto the cord.
You do NOT have to restring the whole thing to replace that section.  You
will have to remove all the knobs and dial skirts and take off the front
panel to get access to the cord.

An old Indian trick is to take a loop of dental floss to put around the
D-shaped spring in the back of the dial skirt to stretch it a bit when
reinstalling it onto the PTO shaft.  Ten-Tec manuals show a specially
fabricated tool for this, but the floss works much better.  Once the skirt
is seated on the shaft, the dental floss just slips out.

Mike