TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NR problem
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:43:49 -0400
I thought the NR wasn't working also some time back and asked Gary Barbour
about this as I though it was a bug. Here is his reply......

<<<<<Toby,
It is not a bug, but it is more apparent in the new firmware because
of the changes to the RF gain control. In the older firmware the Rx
Threshold adjustment would be modified when the NR function was
on. In 1.372 the RF Gain and the Threshold are modified during NR
operation. This is necessary because the NR function works best
when broadband noise is present along with a signal. Otherwise the
NR filter could have a problem tracking changes in pitch which
occur in normal voice.

Gary