TenTec

Re: [TenTec] A polite suggestion to remove old e-mail parts and question

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A polite suggestion to remove old e-mail parts and questions about power supplies for different generations of TT transceivers
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:14:50 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Chris Wagner
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:27 PM

Subject: questions about power supplies for different generations of TT
transceivers

b) A TT ps protects the transceiver as it will shut down if the SWR gets too
high.

For those with generations of TT transceivers, can you use an old ps for
more recent transceivers?

>>> Yes, definitely.  You just have to rig up a way to switch the AC on/off
using the remote wires in the Molex (like) plug (for instance, solder a
bridge across these two wires inside the power supply).

And a new ps (962, 963) for older ones? (Paragon and Omnis)

>>>  Use?  Yes... but the old Omnis all relied on the power supply to shut
down with excessive current; the new 962/3 don't have this, so you need to
use an Airpax circuit breaker in the line.

How quiet is the switching ps?

>> I've been using them for 8 years and I cannot detect a difference whether
powering with one of these or with the older 961, or 962, or the old boat
anchor 35A Astron linear supply.

73
Rick