TenTec

Re: [TenTec] TNC/Packet Software Help

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TNC/Packet Software Help
From: "jack" <jfriend31@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:20:00 -0600
i ran two KAM Plus' for a few years. i think the best software bar none is
the DOS Hostmaster II + for that application. however i discovered MixW
since then and find that i can do anything digital with a simple
arrangement:

for input and output from the sound card in your computer the circuit is one
isolation transformer in series with a 50Kohm pot. both can be purchased
from Radio Shack for nominal dollars. set the pot to the gain you wish or
use the gain control in your computer or both.

MixW will key CW with a simple circuit found in the MixW help files and one
can specify any of many COM ports for that purpose. MixW will read CW very
well if one needs that capability.

if one is using the Orion he can skip the input and output circuit totally.
i have 2 Orions hooked to my computer thru the Ten Tec supplied cables.
LOGic8 allows me to choose the active radio. MixW allows me to choose the
specific COM port keyed for CW. the switch from one radio to the other takes
but a moment. clearly this is not a contest setup as it takes more than a
second to change keyed COM port.

jack ak7o

PS there were times i could not get my KAM Plus to sinc with HMII+ without
rebooting the KAM. now and again i had to go thru the SETUP menu and reset
everything to get it to work. that is the reason i switched to MixW. i have
yet to have MixW balk!