TenTec

[TenTec] TX out and TXen

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TX out and TXen
From: seay@alaska.net (Del & Jan Seay)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:15:32 -0800
Of course you're right, Jim. Instead of a dc voltage,
it sends a ground, after biasing Q-11 to conduction.
Q-15 has a voltage present on the base, biasing
it to cutoff until that voltage is lowered by a ground
on the TXEN jack.
My error. But - the result is the same whether
it uses a voltage, or lack of a voltage.
The reasoning for this circuit is for the OMNI to inform
the amplifier that it is now ready to transmit. The amplifier
is supposed to take this information, make the transition
to a transmit condition, then send a signal in the form
of a ground, back to the OMNI, which then starts emitting
rf. The timing is therefore provided by the amplifier and
actually shortens the dash or dot by the time necessary
to make the transition. In the case of RJ-11 relay rigs, that
is about 6 milliseconds which is not a problem. Slower
relays could "thin" the cw signal significantly.

Thanks for making me get out the manual, Jim.
de KL7HF
.