TenTec

Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:15:45 -0600
Jim, my elmer had a 2B and 2BQ as well.
I got my ticket in 1964.
I got my Collins S-Line and a pair of KWM2's absolutely for free....only
cost me 3 years of my life ;-)

I was big into contesting and DXing then, and one of the things I noticed
with the tube rigs is, about once a year they needed tuning.  I found that
if I didn't peak them, they would slowly drift and be down on sensitivity.
For comparison, I had a brand new Yaesu FT-200 which had a transistorized RX
with single 9 MHz IF, and then tubes in the driver and final.
When peaked, the Collins rigs could hear as well or better as the FT-200.
After a year I could hear weak signals on the FT-200 which were in the noise
on the Collins.

I built a heathkit VTVM, RF Voltmeter, and signal generator.
Later I got a scope.
I enjoyed tuning the old radios (well they were new then).

Today I don't have any of these instruments and don't have the time or
energy to be bothered having to tune a receiver every year.
I'd be afraid, just when I wanted to use it in a contest, it would be out of
tune.

This is the main reason that I have resisted the urge to purchase something
with tubes in it.

To be fair, I ran the US Army MARS station in Berlin from 1972 until 1974,
and the Collins gear was switched on 24x7, and used about 16 hours per day.
Maybe that's why it needed tuning so often.

I wonder is anyone else has had this kind of experience?

Anyway, about one year after that story above, I got my first Ten-Tec:
Argonaut 505.
For the next several years that followed, most of my operation was portable
and the 505, later replaced by the 509, together with a 405 amp, became my
rig of choice.  See www.dj0ip.de

73
Rick, NJ0IP