TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] --- and balanced fed verticals

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] --- and balanced fed verticals
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:56:28 +0100
Hi Carl,

Well I was speaking about two different antennas in that post:
 - 1. the original trap vertical (don't recall who started this thread)
 - 2. my own vertical dipole
Not sure which case you were referring to.

For the original trap vertical, I believe you could use a balun, probably a
4:1 to raise the impedance closer to that of the feedline.  Whether you
place one at the matchbox or not depends on what kind of matchbox you have.
With a symmetrical matchbox then you needn't bother.

Somebody from this group told me long ago that he was doing just what you
propose.  It might have been K4TAX.  I've thought about this solution too,
but never tried it so I won't speculate on how well that would work.  Sounds
like a good idea when you have long runs to the antenna.

As for my own vertical dipole, well it is a non-resonant doublet so I just
connect openwire directly to the feedpoint.  I usually use a symmetrical
matchbox in the shack, so I don't use any balun at all.

73
Rick