TenTec

Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 05:42:10 -0500
Ken,

I don't know if the low angle efficiency falls off faster than the high
angle radiation.
I can't remember ever reading that, but I have probably only read "a drop in
the bucket" of all there is.

I do know that I changed my attitude about verticals since reading Rudy's
papers.

I also know that there is no reason to ever use a vertical with inefficient
ground.
Instead I use a vertical dipole, 30 to 40 ft. overall length, fed in the
middle with openwire, and matched with a matchbox inside the shack.
No radials, yet still has fairly good efficiency.

I can't imagine why people continue to go with the traditional design,
except for the case that they are willing to lay down a complex ground
system (or 4 elevated radials per band).

73
Rick