TenTec

[TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga
From: "Curt" <rhulett1@consolidated.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:12:32 -0600
My Omni VII arrived in good condition after a trip to the factory to repair
a broken internal ATU.  It seems to be working fine, the tuner works as well
as it did when new.

What puzzles me is Ten-Tec's note about the repair says "replaced defective
455 filter in transmitter chain.  Labor $150, mat'l $3"   I haven't a clue
about what the 455 filter is or how it could cause the ATU to fail.  The
transmitter functioned well with the broken tuner bypassed and using my
external tuner.  What's also bothersome is the list of functions checked by
the technician don't include anything associated with the ATU.

I've sent a note to Ten-Tec service asking for an explanation, while waiting
for a response, does anyone on this list have any thoughts about how the
noted defect would prevent the internal ATU to work, but permit the radio to
function normally when not using the internal ATU?

73, Curt KB5JO