TenTec

[TenTec] another keyer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] another keyer
From: JTBRANNIGAN@prodigy.net (JAMES T BRANNIGAN)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 02:09:34 -0000
I use a single COM port for CW keying, the TNC and an SSTV converter.
The circuitry is built into a commercial RS-232  A/B switch box, this
simplifies the hardware side of the project.
Since only a few of the RS-232/DB-25 pins are required to operate a
TNC/SSTV/CW keyer.  Most of the wires can be removed from the switch box.
This leaves plenty of room for circuit boards and plugs.  The now unused
poles on the switch can be used to switch audio and PTT lines.
One position is straight through to the TNC. A DPDT toggle switch enables
the CW keyer. (CT supports this configuration)
Switch position two goes to the internal SSTV converter.
This works out well...I can contest on CW and use my TNC for spotting....or
play with SSTV. one switch does it all.
(I can't run the TNC and SSTV software at the same time so this works out.)
For flexibility, I use a separate box to switch the audio, mike, PTT lines
between HF,VHF, rigs.
The CW keyer uses a Radio Shack Reed Relay to provide isolation between the
rig and the computer. (I also use tube gear and I wanted one interface.)

Why all this bother???
COM 1 goes to the switchbox.
COM 2 runs the OMNI-VI
COM 3 is my modem
If I add a COM 4 it will be for rotator control...

73, Jim WB2TPS