TenTec

Re: [TenTec] IRF gain, IF gain or AF gain?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] IRF gain, IF gain or AF gain?
From: "Martin Sole" <hs0zed@csloxinfo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 09:24:16 +0700
Since we  now have selectable notch or peak (SAF), selectable AF/RF gain
doesn't sound impossible (hi hi!).

With the S meter I think some of it is the change from AF to RF derived AGC
(or the other way around). Annoying as S meters can be, almost pointless
some might say the real story is that pretty much every communications grade
receiver has a meter that shows at least some sort of relative strength and
we do make use of them.  The older approach of riding the RF gain was
generally to stop detector overload before we had product detectors (today
of course it's to stop AtoD overflow) and for this the AGC would be turned
off. Even with Orion I find that riding the RF gain control diminishes the
rather excellent AGC and indeed it seems you can get a similar effect by
increasing the AGC threshold, I usually run mine between 3 and 6 uV with the
slope at 2:10 for the smoothest audio and minimal band noise, but this with
the RF gain up. AGC threshold clearly works in the same area as it also
drives the S meter upscale. The attenuator of course does not affect the S
meter but can stop AtoD overload.

Didn't know about the K3, have played with a couple but not that in depth.
Might need to borrow one again.

Regards
Martin