TenTec

[TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout VS. DX-77
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:25:11 -0500

  Just try driving and
>adjusting the microscopic controls and reading
>mult-layer menus of an FT-100 or IC-706 and you may be
>surprised that the tractor trailer that was way ahead
>of you is now in the passenger compartment. So don't
>believe everything you read in QST articles.

The Delta II:  The angle of the operator and display in bright
sunlight is important.  It takes pushing two buttons to change bands.
No internal keyer.  It's big!  In a small car (e.g., my Saturn SC2
coupe, the Delta II was bungee corded to a wood platform placed on the
passenger floor and leaned up against the front edge of the passenger
seat.  (It was that or make a stand for it in the passenger seat).  It
was a long reach to the VFO and other controls.

My FT-100:  Internal keyer with memory (no external keyer). remote
head (main radio body is in the trunk). Remote head is mounted on a
block of wood cut for one of the drink holders--the vfo and other
controls are well within hand's reach with my arm comfortably on the
center armrest; the viewing angle to the radio is down and just to the
right of forward--can still see traffic when glancing at remote head;
display is bright and facing driver's eyes; rat's nest of cables
minimized--cable run from the trunk is hidden up to under the front
driver's seat.  Only exposed cabling is the paddle, speaker and remote
head.  Even then, it's only a couple of inches in view for each one.

Overall, the Delta II had a lot NOT going for it as a /m radio.  It's
an okay radio on the operating desk when it's sitting next to my Omni
VI -- I'm not that taken with the Jones filter and the PBT.  The Delta
II would probably be a very good/excellent radio if it were by itself
on the desk.

Big drawback for me with the Delta II now that it's no longer my /m
radio is that I cannot do computer control AND CW with it.

pity...

73,
dale, kg5u