TenTec

[TenTec] Pegasus line out

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus line out
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:41:20 -0500
> This is something I have thought was odd since I received my first Pegasus.
> The standard cable that came with the Pegasus to
connect the line out ( to the soundcard iin my case) is a stereo mini phono.
Without tearing apart the rig, is the jack really
stereo and if so what is the purpose?

The Line output is dual-mono in the sense that the same audio appears on the
jack's tip and ring with respect to ground (shield).  I
assume it was designed this way since most sound card inputs are true stereo
with separate left and right audio channels.  Ten-Tec
gave us the ability to run the Pegasus' mono audio into both the left and right
sound card inputs.

> If I connect the cable to something that is mono it bridges the left and
> right together and attenuates the output.

That's right.  In this configuration, you have shorted the "ring" on the plug
to ground when terminating the opposite end into a
true mono mini jack which also grounds the tip since they are tied together (or
through a low-value isolation resistor).   In either
event, the audio is shorted to ground.  FYI - Radio Shack sells 1/8" mini
stereo/mono adapters to help with this problem if you need
to terminate the Line out audio into a tip & sleeve plug or jack.

-Paul, W9AC